From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-02-23 21:29:40

At 08:39 PM 2/23/00 -0500, Braden N. McDaniel wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Beman Dawes wrote:
>
>> Isn't the issue of how to configure for a given platform separable
>> from how to build the binary library for the platform? Of course,
if
>> any configuration has to be done, it must be done first.
>
>I don't think autoconf/automake/libtool are sufficiently
non-intrusive to
>fully mesh with the process you described in your other posting.
Here is a
>rough overview of the process...
>
>If one is using automake, one writes Makefile.am scripts. You'll
need one
>of these in each directory involved in the build process. Running
automake
>in the top-level directory recurses the subdirectories and generates
>Makefile.in from each Makefile.am. If you're not using automake, you
>author the Makefile.in's directly.
>
>In the top-level directory, you write a script called configure.in.
>Running autoconf on this yields the configure script. Running the
>configure script checks a bunch of stuff about your system, and
generates
>Makefile's from the Makefile.in's. If you're using an autoconf
config
>header, it gets generated at this point, too.

That sounds to me like it could coexist with other install tools as
long as the directories were separate.

Let me try it for Win32 platforms. If that works OK, I will put a
.zip file in the vault, and people can then try to add directories
with scripts for other platforms.

--Beman