From: Braden N. McDaniel (braden_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-02-23 21:32:10

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Greg Colvin wrote:

> Would it make sense to:
>
> 1) Get autoconf/automake/libtool in place for those platforms that it works on.
> 2) Run it on those platforms.
> 3) Provide the results of those runs as well -- preconfigured, as it were.

The standard operating procedure for users of GNU-style tarballs is:

 1. Unarchive the tarball and change to the directory.
 2. ./configure
 3. make
 4. make install

This process is easy enough, well documented enough, and well known
enough, I think, that it should be quite adequate for Boost. The step
beyond this is binary packages, along the lines of .rpm and .deb. At least
for the Linux package formats I'm familiar with, these are relatively easy
to construct given a GNU-style tarball.

> 4) Provide manually constructed configurations for the remaining platforms.

I'm not sure exactly what this implies in terms of the tools used, but,
yes, I think it will be necessary.

> That said, I hope the whole structure can remain simple enough for people to
> find and extract what they need from Boost and fold it into whatever build
> process they already have without suffering too much brain damage.

Me too.

--
Braden N. McDaniel
braden_at_[hidden]