From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-03-05 09:30:06

At 11:06 PM 2/3/00 -0800, Andreas Scherer wrote:

>After happily hacking the various bits and pieces of "boost_all.zip"
on
>WinNT 4 with MSVC 6 I installed the sources on a Linux PC with egcs
>2.91.66 and found the following minor problem:
>
>After "unzip"ping the archive, line 213 of <boost/smart_ptr.hpp> has
>spurious ^M character after the line-continuing backslash. egcs
2.91.66
>refrains from compiling this line. When I compile
<libs/smart_ptr_test.
>cpp> with "g++ -c smart_ptr.cpp -I../.." egcs reports an "Invalid
token
>in expression".
>
>I suggest to clean the files in respect to end-of-line characters.

The two lines in smart_ptr.hpp have been changed (and will appear on
the web site with the next update.)

A bug report has been posted on gnu.g++.bug and gnu.gcc.bug.

As far as general "cleaning" of boost file line terminators, what do
you consider "clean"? CR, CR/LF, or LF? I'm sure you see the
problem; if boost standardized on a particular platform's terminator,
people using other platforms take offense. But the problem should go
away with time; to tell you the truth I am surprised there are still
compilers out there that can't handle any combination of CR, CR/LF,
or LF.

--Beman