From: Miki Jovanovic (miki_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-03-13 14:12:46

beman dawes <bema-_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Limit line
> lengths to 80 characters; that prevents truncation or line wraps when
> printing of your source code.

Well, I will probably get beaten up on this, but I am strongly against
this policy. I have not printed a line of code in 3-4 years, and am
quite happy looking at long lines. As a matter of fact, I find
splitting lines much more disruptive then having to occasionaly scroll.
Long lines are generally made out of function calls with many
parameters, and understanding exactly what parameters do is a very odd
occasion. However, reviewing the overall structure of a method/function
is much more common task, and having 2-3 statements fill the whole
screen is very disruptive.

With this in mind, there are very good programs for printing source
which deal with long lines very well.

Cheers,

Miki.