From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-03-14 12:19:33

At 11:12 AM 3/13/00 -0800, Miki Jovanovic wrote:

>> Limit line
>> lengths to 80 characters; that prevents truncation or line wraps
when
>> printing of your source code.
>
>Well, I will probably get beaten up on this, but I am strongly
against
>this policy.

I will remove that sentence; apparently it is more controversial than
I thought.

> I have not printed a line of code in 3-4 years,

My experience is that programmers, including myself, nowadays almost
never print source code that they understand, but do print code they
are trying to understand or wish to study off-line. For example, I
printed Kevin Atkinson's CopyPtr/ClonePtr code so I could study it in
the evening away from any computer.

>... there are very good programs for printing source
>which deal with long lines very well.

Do you have a URL for such a program? The one I use is so old it
creaks!

--Beman