From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-03-22 11:12:26

At 12:41 AM 3/18/00 -0500, Dave Abrahams wrote:

>>> At least my recommendation is: Do not activate the member
function
>>> templates for boost, MSVC is too bad ...
>>

>> That is my feeling, too, after hearing how tricky it is to get
VC++
>> member templates to work correctly. It doesn't seem like people
>> developing on other platforms would stand much chance of their
>> submissions working on VC++. The silent failures are particularly
>> scary.
>
>I don't know about this. Suppose we include a separate switch
>BOOST_MEMBER_TEMPLATES_MSVC6 which can be used instead of
>BOOST_MEMBER_TEMPLATES on code which has been carefully vetted with
this
>*&^%#@ compiler. Many of us are still forced to use it, and it is
sometimes
>possible to make it work properly ;)

That's a thought. Let me think about it a bit.

Hum. The trade press is reporting that the ship date for next version
of VC++ has slipped until this time next year. Sigh.

OK, I thought about it; config.hpp has been changed to add
BOOST_MSVC6_MEMBER_TEMPLATES. (Due to scheduling considerations, it
will be ten days before the site is updated.)

--Beman