From: Paul Baxter (paje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-03-22 14:55:54

> Hum. The trade press is reporting that the ship date for next version
> of VC++ has slipped until this time next year. Sigh.
>
> OK, I thought about it; config.hpp has been changed to add
> BOOST_MSVC6_MEMBER_TEMPLATES. (Due to scheduling considerations, it
> will be ten days before the site is updated.)
>
> --Beman

Hmmm, I'm not a happy man now.

I can't wait a whole year further without decent STL/template support but I
don't particularly want to pay for MSVC 6 when MSVC 5 is almost the same.

Probably off topic here but is the Intel front end any better at standard
support? Their site was not very informative at last glance. (Maybe in
conjunction with STLPort?)

My main problem was that I really thought Microsoft were due to release
something soon.

Beman do you have any reference to the trade mags?

(I had seen Steve Balmer's Feb 15th speech about the new visual studio
stuff - mainly talking web objects/VB admittedly, but had hoped C++ would be
part of the revised suite albeit by the looks of it an increasingly small
part.)

I am also concerned that boost is going to have to support broken compilers
for probably another two years.

Paul

Feel free to post direct flames to me rather than the group if this is
considered offtopic.

msvcbyebye_at_[hidden]