From: Ian Bruntlett (Ian.Bruntlett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-03-29 03:29:04

Kevin,

> And this means....... How exactly is auto_ptr not sufficient. I really
> don't know what you are trying to do. What are your existing practices.

Well, I don't think auto_ptr<> would be suitable for use when dealing with,
say O.S. handles.

I think that to use auto_ptr<> with an O.S. handle I'd have to write a guard
class for every kind of O.S. handle.

It would only be a matter of time before individual guard classes started
having different interfaces and quirks.

If I use auto_resource<>, I'd only have to implement two member functions,
reset() and release(). The class interface would be consistent - as long as
reset() and release() were implemented correctly.

Ian