From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-04-22 05:37:22

At 09:47 PM 4/20/00 -0500, Dave Abrahams wrote:

>> I did leave the non standard but well used containers, slist, hash_set,
>> hash_map, hash_multiset, hash_multimap, as forward declarations. They
aren't
>> std yet.
>
>Sorry, but this is still a violation of the rules of the standard. You're
>not allowed to declare anything in std.

In addition to being a violation of the standard, it is a serious problem
for users of such containers. Here is why: when containers with these
names are eventually standardized, they will certainly be in a form
somewhat different from whatever flavors the non-standard varieties are
providing. The user's code will suddenly be broken. There is no
convenient migration path. If instead extensions are provided as boost
does, in a separate namespace, then users can migrate at when and if they
want to.

--Beman