From: Dave Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-05-07 15:13:56

on 5/7/00 1:19 PM, Beman Dawes at beman_at_[hidden] wrote:

> * Is portable and not restricted to a particular compiler or
> operating system.

An important role of a library project like boost, which hopes to contribute
to the next C++ standard library, is to provide unifying interfaces over
operating system capabilities which may not be portably accessible through
standard C++. I would like it if the definition of "portable" were clarified
to make it clear that we are not going to reject a library just because it
uses non-portable constructs, as long as the library is relatively easy to
port.

-Dave