From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-05-07 19:01:33

At 04:13 PM 5/7/00 -0400, Dave Abrahams wrote:

>> * Is portable and not restricted to a particular compiler or
>> operating system.
>
>An important role of a library project like boost, which hopes to
contribute
>to the next C++ standard library, is to provide unifying interfaces
over
>operating system capabilities which may not be portably accessible
through
>standard C++. I would like it if the definition of "portable" were
clarified
>to make it clear that we are not going to reject a library just
because it
>uses non-portable constructs, as long as the library is relatively
easy to
>port.

Agreed. Hum. Maybe this:

* Has a portable interface not restricted to a particular compiler or
operating system. Has a portable implementation if possible,
otherwise reasonably easy to port to other environments.

Or this:

* Is portable and not restricted to a particular compiler or
operating system. An exception will be made for implementations
requiring non-portable constructs, but interfaces must be portable.

I am not particularly happy with either wording; maybe words will
clarify in the morning.

--Beman