From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-05-15 10:04:44

At 05:26 PM 5/14/00 -0700, Nathan Myers wrote:

>I wonder if it isn't time to move the Boost project off of
Egroups.com
>to somewhere less intrusive and more actively helpful.
>
>The Source Forge project sponsored by VA Linux Systems provides
>not only free mailing lists & archives, but also bug tracking,
>CVS repositories, automated member surveys, and a project web site,
>and an ftp area. List mail doesn't get any irritating advertising
>footers appended.
>
>They currently host some 4400 free-software projects.
>See http://sourceforge.net/ for more details.

There are some questions which would have to be answered before we
could seriously consider SourceForge.

ISourceForge seems limited to "Open Source" projects with specific
licenses. See http://www.opensource.org/licenses/. While some of
those licenses (see
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/zlib-license.html) are pretty
close to the various boost licenses, we would have to be very sure we
were willing to make the leap to a standard license agreement.

Am I the only one who is put off by SourceForge's apparent
argumentative political agenda? Some of their web site material
seems to come pretty close to out-and-out attacks on commercial
software in general and Microsoft in particular.

Does anyone have actual experience participating in a SourceForge
hosted project? Is it better than eGroups, or just different?

We aren't wedded to eGroups but there isn't any point in moving
unless some advantage is gained.

Thanks for raising the issue,

--Beman