From: Andrei Alexandrescu (andrewalex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-05-31 11:48:18

--- In boost_at_[hidden], Thomas Matelich <sosedada_at_u...> wrote:
> AAARRRGGGHHHH!!! You teased me (us) with your smart pointer class
months
> ago on clc++m, and now you get my hopes up and dash them again :)
At least
> I've found boost since then.

I understand your anger, be it half jokingly. I am sorry about this
early announcement. At least it reflects the thirst we all have for
good smart pointers. Designing a smart pointer class does not take
many lines of code, but it's painful like pulling teeth. So many
interacting semantic issues, mixed randomly with syntactical stuff...

In addition, writing a book is as agonizing and as redeeming as being
in love or doing day trading :o). It's a consuming experience, and so
far I didn't have the time and energy to put together a "postable"
version of SmartPtr. The only one I have is in the draft chapter, and
as I said, both its quality and copyright make it not suitable for
publishing. Yet. (I hope.)

Andrei