From: Dietmar Kuehl (dietmar_kuehl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-06-06 17:03:09

Hi,

--- Thomas Matelich <sosedada_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Am I being dense or is g++ void of <limits>? A guy (Linux/g++) I
> work with is using some of my (MSVC)code which in turn uses cast.hpp.

> We ended up having to #ifdef out numeric_cast.
>
> Also, on g++ due to legacy reasons stringstream is called strstream.
> Is this a screw-the-non-conforming-implementation situation?

The library shipping with gcc is rather incomplete. There is work in
progess on a new implementation (see
<http://sourceware.cygnus.com/libstdc++/>) but as far as I can see this
is not yet in a usable state (ie. it produced lots of errors when I ran
my testsuite on it last time). For alternatives have a look at

- <http://www.stlport.org/> for a portable version of the SGI
  implementation (there is at least a beta version of the while thing)
- <http://www.claas-solutions.de/cxxrt/> for SGI STL plus my
  implementation of stuff not implemented by SGI STL (eg. IOStreams)
- <http://www.dinkumware.com/> for the Dinkumware implementation.

The first two libraries are free, the latter is a commercial product
but it is reasonably priced for Linux, I think (well, the price of
STLport and my implementation is better :-)

=====
<mailto:dietmar_kuehl_at_[hidden]>
<http://www.dietmar-kuehl.de/>