From: Dietmar Kuehl (dietmar_kuehl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-06-13 07:35:42

Hi,

> Will this work right for VC6.3 using the next release of STLport?

I have niether VC6.3 nor the next release of STLport, thus I can't
tell...

> This makes public derivation from std::iterator essential for
> user-defined iterator types. Just don't wreck that, and I'll be happy
> ;)

If you track down the various versions of 'boost::iterator', you will
see that it tries to inherit from 'std::iterator' if this class is
there. If it is there in a correct form (ie. with all five template
arguments), 'boost::iterator' does not add anything. If it is has
reduced template arguments (eg. in the Dinkumware implementation) ie.
derives from this version but also adds the corresponding typedefs. If
'std::iterator' is missing completely (eg. in the libstdc++
implementation) ie. provides the whole class. Of course, some tests for
macros are missing but the general mechanism should work.

Regards,
  dk

=====
<mailto:dietmar_kuehl_at_[hidden]>