From: Mark Rodgers (mark.rodgers_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-06-30 17:55:45

> 1. new branches can be started and contributed to at will by anyone, but
> the main (release) branch stays inviolate until it is merged by a
> maintainer.
> 2. Give everyone who has contributed to a released boost library write
> access.

I much prefer (1).

Just because someone hasn't yet written something that has been accepted
doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to contribute in other ways.

Equally I would never presume any change I might propose would be
anything other than that - a proposal. It would be up to the maintainer
of the library to accept or reject the proposal via a merge.

But does one size fit all? Maybe different maintainers would have
different policies on how they want to manage changes. Some might not
want to have to bother with the merging.

So how about

3. New branches can be started and contributed to at will by anyone,
but the main (release) branch stays inviolate until it is merged by the
maintainer of the library, or someone invited by the maintainer to do a
merge.

Mark