From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-07-13 08:58:04

Paul A. Bristow wrote:

>> boost seems to prefer all lower-case identifiers with underscores as
>> separators, so it's "half_pi" instead of "halfPi". Aliases (sqrtTwo
>> and rootTwo) should be avoided. The naming should be consistent
>> (gammaThird vs. thirdPi and sqrtE vs. eSqr). Probably define
>> an explicit naming policy so that others can add further constants
>> with a compatible naming.
>
>I am concerned that the use of _ within names will make them unacceptably
>long.
>oneDivSqrtTwoPi versus one_div_sqrt_two_pi.
>(Of course my preference is colored by my use of the mixed case style).
>But I willing to be guided if there are strong views on this.

We worked through this issue in detail, and over a long period of time, on
the C++ committee. The discussion was repeated, abet briefly, in early
boost postings. A short summary:

* Naming conventions are contentious, and although several are widely
used, no one style predominates.

* Given the intent to propose portions of boost for the next revision of
the C++ standard library, boost decided to follow the standard library's
conventions.

* Once a library settles on a particular convention, a vast majority of
stakeholders want that style to be consistently used.

* There is a strong preference for clear and descriptive names, even if
lengthy.

So please do follow the lowercase/underscore naming convention (with
uppercase macro names).

(Boost guidelines don't currently say anything about names. I'll add
something.)

--Beman