From: Moore, Paul (paul.moore_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-07-13 09:55:54

From: Beman Dawes [mailto:beman_at_[hidden]]
> Minor question on diff: on some diff's it seems like -c is
> the correct switch to get a context diff, and -u doesn't
> produce context. On others, -u is what produces context.
> What's going on here?

Both diff -c and diff -u can be used to produce context diffs. The format is
somewhat different (with -u being more compact, and hence preferred by many
people), but functionally the two are the same.

The problem is that where -c is generally available on all diffs, -u is a
GNU-derived extension, and is not always available (I don't know if any diff
other than Gnu diff supports it).

Patch similar tools (CVS?) tend to support both, so usually people generate
whatever they prefer (or can produce), but accept either format for patches.

Paul.