From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-07-18 12:31:17

Jeremy, or anyone else with ideas,

One thing that is missing, both from boost and metactrl, is compile time
error detection and reporting.

I've been trying to write an experimental generator, and the need to report
that an invalid configuration has been detected pops up right away.

There have been a number of boost discussions and proposals for
compile_time asserts, and I guess if any of them work well with template
metaprogramming, we should dust them off for inclusion. But the concern
here is just template metaprogramming, so a solution that worked only in
that limited context would be OK.

While the example C&E give on page 622 results in a fairly clear compiler
error message, it takes quite a bit of coding to implement. If the
difficulty of reporting errors causes generator programmers to skip error
checks, that is a "bad thing". Any library support would be certainly be
appreciated.

--Beman