From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-07-28 12:27:49

None of the names I've seen floating around recently address the important
difference between what we're trying to name and the standard assert(),
namely that ours happens at compile-time. If you're concerned about what
unfamiliar readers will be able to understand, consider this possible
reaction.
"What's this 'verify()' thing? Oh, wonderful. Another case of 'plain old
assert isn't good enough for me, I'll write my own'. Stupid boost."

COMPILE_TIME_ASSERT says what it means.
-Dave