From: James Slaughter (James_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-07-30 14:58:14

I remember a posting to comp.lang.c++.moderated, by Luis Coelho on 23
December 1998 03:41 (GMT):

<---- Begin Quote ---->
Hi, I was having breakfast the other day, when I came up with a
simple function to check whether a type is polymorphic.
First, here's the code:

template <typename T>
bool is_polymorphic(const T& t)
{
 bool result = false;
 typeid( (result = true) ? t : t);
 return result;
}

Now why it works:
typeid() actually does two very different things in two very
similar contexts. If it is fed a simple non-polymorphic type it
just gives you the static type and does not evalute its type
(this is also how sizeof works). However if it gets a polymorphic
type, then it evaluates its argument and gives you the dynamic
type.
<---- End Quote ---->

Unfortunately, we don't get a compile time constant out of this technique.
To be honest though, I never found a use for it... is there one?

Best Regards,
James Slaughter.