From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-07-30 16:31:00

David Abrahams wrote:

>CVS is working really well now, and it seems to have gotten a lot faster
in
>the past week, to boot.

SourceForge is also planning to bring up a new CVS server, and allow
browser based administration for some of the things I now have to email
them to do manually.

> The biggest problem I've had
>recently is that the CVS documentation doesn't cover my normal usage
>patterns in an easy HOWTO format, so I've spent a lot of time poring
>through
>the docs and doing experiments to figure out how to do what I want. I
just
>found http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/, which includes online chapters that
>look
>excellent and would probably be a considerable help.

I've had good luck with cvsbook; I guess I should have mentioned it to
others.

> I think I'll order the
>"treeware" version for myself, though. Nonetheless, I think we should
start
>an HTML page which covers boost CVS development, and in particular
>development on branches.

I've got an action item on my do list to do just that; if you want to start
it, feel free! Jens had some good thoughts I planned to
incorporate. Someone else (Jeremy?) also suggested some procedures a while
ago. Good starting places.

--Beman