From: Reid Sweatman (borderland_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-10 21:49:47

Just my unedicated two bits, but personally I'd prefer having the
primitives, even at the expense of some platform-dependent code, and build
the monitor on top of it. Maybe it would be enough to sort of "deprecate"
the primitives in the documentation. Something like, "Abandon all hope of
debugging, ye who use these primitives." <g> I imagine I'd end up using the
monitor most of the time, but I'd still like the option of hitting the
lowest layer if necessary. At least I'm used to mutexes and semaphores, on
a couple of platforms, anyway. I'd think another argument for doing it that
way would be that you could implement different styles of monitor, as
necessary.

Reid Sweatman