From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-25 10:10:08

Damian Dixon wrote:

>IMHO I would prefer to see pthreads used as the underlying mechanism
>for the thread library.

We have to think broadly; not just platforms like Unix and Win32 which have
pthreads implementations available but also embedded systems and mainframes
and who knows what. Even on platforms with pthreads, a native
implementation may be preferred for performance reasons, or to reduce
coupling.

While much current discussion is rightly focused on safety, we will
eventually have to address the issue of platforms. It would be very
reassuring to be able to say our test programs run correctly on embedded
systems. Does the Palm Pilot OS have any native support for concurrent
programming?

--Beman