From: John Maddock (John_Maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-09-20 05:37:31

Dave,

>Can't you just have the default allocator be your own, rather than
>allocator<T>?

I could yes.

>Is there some deeper problem here?

Code bloat, broken compilers, just the usual.

>Is it that you don't want to expose the interface a custom allocator would
>neeed in order to be fast enough?

That's one option - basically match_results allocates fixed size blocks,
but the size isn't determined until runtime (by the number of
sub-expressions in the regular expression).

However, the more I think about this, the more I think that perhaps the
problems can be avoided by a little meta-programming on my part: to make
sure that the default allocator parameter is always both consistent and
easier for the user to deduce.

I'll leave the interface "as is", and try and find another fix for the code
bloat problems.

- John.