From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-09-24 06:51:49

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Maddock" <John_Maddock_at_[hidden]>

> >I wonder about this. Shouldn't this maybe be #ifdef _WIN32?
>
> OK, I guess so, although at present there are no non-win32
> Microsoft/Borland compilers are there? (I am aware that Kylix will be
> comming soon though... )

No, but there are non-MS/Borland win32 compilers (CW, GCC). Don't they all
(or mostly) use this convention? I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that CW
does.

> >Also, you use lots of ALL_UPPERCASE names for enum values. These really
> >should be reserved for preprocessor macros.
>
> As far as I am aware the only place where that occures is in cregex.hpp -
> those are POSIX defined names for the most part REG_ICASE etc, the few
> extentions then follow that naming system. I guess I could make these
> macros rather than enum's but that seems to be a rather backward and
> retentive step.

Oh, I see. OK I agree in principle though I worry what happens when someone
transitions from some other POSIX library to yours and they #include both
headers. The POSIX lib will walk over your namespace redefining those
symbols. Maybe it would be best to simply use the lowercase versions of
those symbols and possibly have a special posix compatibility include if you
really need the uppercase spellings (?)

I think this one was Jens' remark:
> >libs/regex/old_include is still there. :-) It has no place in a
> >freshly contributed boost library, I think.
>
> Fresh to boost, not to my existing users, I guess I can provide it
> separately on my web pages - but it is mentioned in the docs - and that's
> not going to change, what does everyone else think?

I have no objection to seeing it here