From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-10-05 17:02:55

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Kempf" <sirwillard_at_[hidden]>

> > This is fine -- if it hasn't been done for a specific reason, then
> > document it. i.e., this is a good statement to put in a README
> file.
>
> Agreed. While Boost was small this was just something that everyone
> knew. Now it's important that it's documented for new users. Along
> this line, I really agree with another recent poster (don't remember
> who it was)... it's time to start another Boost list for users of the
> libraries. Users are likely to be bored to tears by the development
> discussions we normally have on here, while their usage questions are
> going to very quickly become difficult to deal with in this list.
> What do you say Beman? Start a new eGroup?

I suggested it, and now I'm beginning to think it's not such a good idea
after all. At the very least I think it's too early. I would hate for us
developers to become insulated in any way from the needs and questions of
our users. My experience of asking questions in the GCC world is that they
go into a kind of "cold ether" and are often never seen again. I think this
is in part due to the separation of the user/developer mailing lists.

-Dave