From: Jesse Jones (jejones_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-10-17 16:05:43

>Gary Powell wrote:
>
>> Anyway I found the paper he wrote very interesting in that like Meyers
>he
>> started with what he wanted and worked through each step to finally
>get it.
>> (That's not to say its what you want, but the process was cool.)

My callback library is pretty similar to his except that usage is a bit
simpler because I use member templates and I allow optional binding of
arguments.

>Rene Jager wrote
>in the apps i work on we make extensive use of callbacks and after
>using/implementing
>it in the way(s) as show in previous posts, we came down to something
>like the
>following:

>[snip interesting code]

>bl::bind, bl::free1, etc are from the binder library (now lambda library
>and
>already
>part of boost?),

What is the status of the lambda library? Is it going to be accepted into
boost?

>[more snippage]

>unneeded result types are ignored (or converted)

Yeah, this is good. The same applies to arguments. For example, if you have
a callback that's defined to have a void return type and an int argument it
should be possible to attach a member function that takes a long.

>with the function adapters, binder library and some extra relaxN(...)
>template functions
>(allowing to except more arguments than actually used) almost everything
>can be turned
>into a callback...

I've having some trouble parsing this bit.

  -- Jesse