From: Karl Nelson (kenelson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-10-31 14:56:29

> Hi, Beman.
>
> I've just done a cursory evaluation of the free document generation
> tools out there. I looked at object outline, web++, ccdoc, doc++,
> cocoon, cxx2html, rethreec++, robodoc, scandoc, and doxygen.
> Doxygen seems to be the most comprehensive. A caveat here is that I
> haven't put it through it's paces on a full project yet. I'm going
> to give it a trial run this week.

My problem with virtually all of the documentation extractors is
many require compilation or other libraries resulting in multiple
dependencies. I much prefer the smaller ones like perceps or
pce2 which are written in perl or python which are small enough
to ship with a package and thus have little additional overhead.
But then they aren't all that feature rich.

--Karl