From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-01 12:49:41

Jeremy Siek wrote:

>I agree that dependencies tables/diagrams are useful.
>
>It was helpful to see the complete list of directly and indirectly
>included headers for a particular file, however it is also important to
>see the whole graph... not just the "flattened" version. Would
>it be possible to output the header dependencies in some sort
>of hierarchical view that shows this information? Perhaps
>just run BFS over the graph and output the resulting tree

I've written a little C++ program to do that. Thanks to the boost regular
expression library for making it easy!

There are three sets of options, each with two possibilities:

* Show a header name:
      - once at highest level encountered
      - each time encountered

* Include or exclude Standard Library headers

* Include or exclude detail implementation headers

To see the result on boost/regex.hpp for all eight combinations, see
http://www.egroups.com/files/boost/regex_dependencies.txt

I think I prefer the first combination: show names once, include std names,
include implementation detail headers.

Comments?

--Beman