From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-02 20:59:37

Jeremy Siek wrote:

>In addition to running test suites for each library, I would
>also like the regression test to compile any examples
>and diff the results with the expected output. The purpose
>here isn't to test the library... just to make sure the
>examples still work as expected so users don't get confused.

Yes, that would be quite useful. I gather from both Dietmar's experiences
and from reading the docs, that DejaGnu is very good at that sort of test.

But that's just too much to tackle right now. I think we can have basic
tests running in another day or two on the files covered by the compiler
status tests. I'd rather have a bird in the hand than two in the bush.

Timing tests can also be useful. In some industrial software I maintain,
an unexpected change in the timings have several times been the first
indication of a hidden program logic bug. But likewise, that will have to
wait until later.

--Beman