From: Kevlin Henney (kevlin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-07 15:07:01

In message <B62D9E2D.14708%darin_at_[hidden]>, Darin Adler
<darin_at_[hidden]> writes
>on 11/7/00 10:42 AM, Mark Rodgers at mark.rodgers_at_[hidden] wrote:
>
>> I have to say that I feel pretty strongly that any should lose
>> this conversion. It allows comparisons of anys and IMHO that is
>> a very Bad Thing.
>
>I strongly agree.
>
>Note that the issue is not merely that it allows comparisons of anys, but
>rather than it allows them with bad semantics.

I'm sensing more consensus than we had last time round on this issue, as
well as more problems with the status quo. Historically I think that's
the last vestige of smart-pointer-like behaviour in any. I think
majority and safety should prevail on this one, so the UDC is now
deprecated (and will not be in the final release) in favour of an
explicit empty query.

Historically this also turns back the clock a little, as empty was what
was originally supported, but also raises another question over
something I removed a while ago: should a clear function be added to
support the more explicit approach? Ie a.clear() as opposed to a =
any().

Kevlin

  Kevlin Henney phone: +44 117 942 2990
  Curbralan Limited mobile: +44 7801 073 508
  mailto:kevlin_at_[hidden] fax: +44 870 052 2289
  http://www.curbralan.com