From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-19 12:27:54

Hi Everyone,

I'm (finally) doing the py_cpp boostification now. There's been so much
outside interest in py_cpp that it's been hard to keep up with answering
emails and with the improvements people have wanted to contribute during
this time.

The library name choice is still up in the air, but I will settle on
something very soon. I have a related question for which I'd like some
feedback from the group: should the nested namespace name be the same as the
library name?

I ask because I think the most sensible name for the nested namespace is
simply "python". After all, the library contains many entities which are
simple wrappers around Python concepts (e.g. dictionaries, lists, tuples,
references). It would make lots of sense to write, e.g.:

    boost::python::tuple t(x, y, z);

or

    namespace python = boost::python;
    python::tuple t(x, y, z);

Much better than, say, "boost::cleese::tuple" or "boost::gilliam::tuple",
don't you think?

Based on this, I am inclined to go with the un-cute name "The Boost Python
Library". I wouldn't presume to reserve the initials "BPL", though; someday
we will use up the 27 major initals ;-)

Thoughts?
Dave