From: Dan Nuffer (dnuffer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-29 12:53:28

William Kempf wrote:
> Though these tools will work, I don't know if they are "the best".
> They require the CYGWIN runtime (DLL) and as such are slow, in
> comparison to native tools. The MinGW utilities are often better, in
> this regard (http://mingw.sourceforge.net).

In my experience I never noticed any *significant* decrease in speed.
If you measured it, I'd be surprised if the syscall heavy programs ran
more than 20% slower, whereas cpu bound programs such as gcc are
probably less than 5% difference.
Anyway, MinGW doesn't include tar or gzip, just the basic GNU toolchain.

> Installation of the CYGWIN environment is now totally automated
> through a setup.exe which d/ls the selected components and installs
> them for you. Other than speed complaints because of the POSIX
> emulation done in cygwin.dll this does set you up with a complete(?)
> POSIX environment on Win32. I'm not sure how easy it will be to just
> pluck out the two utilities needed, however, so even with out the
> concerns of cygwin.dll this may not be appropriate for this task.
>
> Bill Kempf

Yeah, that is kind of a lot to install, just to create a tar.gz file. I
did a search on winfiles.com and there are probably 100 different free
win32 compression programs that say that they handle tar.gz. I can't
give any pointers, since I've only used WinZip, which will read tar.gz
files, but not create them.

--Dan Nuffer