From: William Kempf (sirwillard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-29 15:22:36

--- In boost_at_[hidden], Dan Nuffer <dnuffer_at_c...> wrote:
> William Kempf wrote:
> > Though these tools will work, I don't know if they are "the best".
> > They require the CYGWIN runtime (DLL) and as such are slow, in
> > comparison to native tools. The MinGW utilities are often
better, in
> > this regard (http://mingw.sourceforge.net).
> >

> In my experience I never noticed any *significant* decrease in
speed.
> If you measured it, I'd be surprised if the syscall heavy programs
ran
> more than 20% slower, whereas cpu bound programs such as gcc are
> probably less than 5% difference.
> Anyway, MinGW doesn't include tar or gzip, just the basic GNU
toolchain.

Only partially true. The MinGW proper only supplies the GNU
toolchain, however the site I posted has links to several *nix
utilities ported to MinGW (i.e. native Win32 compilations). tar and
gzip are counted among them, I believe.

> > Installation of the CYGWIN environment is now totally automated
> > through a setup.exe which d/ls the selected components and
installs
> > them for you. Other than speed complaints because of the POSIX
> > emulation done in cygwin.dll this does set you up with a complete
(?)
> > POSIX environment on Win32. I'm not sure how easy it will be to
just
> > pluck out the two utilities needed, however, so even with out the
> > concerns of cygwin.dll this may not be appropriate for this task.
> >
> > Bill Kempf
>

> Yeah, that is kind of a lot to install, just to create a tar.gz
file. I
> did a search on winfiles.com and there are probably 100 different
free
> win32 compression programs that say that they handle tar.gz. I
can't
> give any pointers, since I've only used WinZip, which will read
tar.gz
> files, but not create them.

There are native tar and gzip executables for Win32. I used native
ports in DOS almost a Decade ago, and those would still work with
Win32. If I find the time I'll try to search the site I gave earlier
to give a specific URL for these tools.

Bill Kempf