From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-30 11:58:28

It really would be good to have VC++ working.

Would it be possible to have a somewhat dumbed-down version that works for
VC++? Would limiting the tuples to 5 elements or so make it possible to
have it working in VC++?

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, William Kempf wrote:

> --- In boost_at_[hidden], "Ed Keith" <e_d_k_at_y...> wrote:
> > I have developed triplet, quad, & quint classes, simular to
> > std::pair. I have also writen ostream inserters for pair, triple,
> > quad, & quint, and provided tie() (based on boost::tie() )functions
> > for triplet, quad, & quint.
> >
> > Is there any interest in this?
>
> Not if we have interest in tuple from the Lambda Library. I've
> suggested that this concept be submitted to Boost seperate from LL,
> and hopefully soon (I think it was held up by the hope to get support
> in VC++ for it, but I don't think this should hold it up any longer).
>
> In case you don't know, tuple is similar to pair, but with arbitrary
> numbers of elements (fixed to a maximum N). You supply the
> parameters in the template argument list.
>
> tuple<int, char> tuple2;
> tuple<int, char, float> tuple3;
>
> Through meta-programming magic, such tuples are as efficient as hand
> coded versions for fixed numbers of elements. The code even handles
> tie() for the N-ary tuples.
>
> Bill Kempf

 Jeremy Siek www: http://www.lsc.nd.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Candidate email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 Univ. of Notre Dame work phone: (219) 631-3906