From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-02 20:38:27

Blitz++ is a *very* full featured C++ multidimensional array library, with
much of the features modelled after F90 arrays. Not only does it have a
very rich subscripting and subarray notation, but it also provides array
arithmetic operations that have been optimized for good cache performance
using the expression template technique, which the author Todd Veldhuisen
co-invented with David Vandevoorde, and much much more.

I think a boost multi-dim array library should in many ways look a
lot like Blitz++.

However, there are some disadvantages in just how advanced Blitz is:
  - it does not compile on VC++
  - compilation times are large
  - only Todd can maintain it

My MTL has similar problems :(

I would like the boost multi-dim array library to be something like a
"blitz lite": simpler implementation, faster compile time, not as high
performance for arithmatic expressions.

Also, there has been interest from the Python community in a C++ multi-dim
array class that could be used as the basis for a Python array class. It
would be cool if the boost array library could fill this need.

Cheers,
Jeremy

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Giovanni Bavestrelli wrote:
> I had never heard of Blitz++, but I searched the web and found some
> documentation, I'll look it up. Thanks for the suggestion. Is
> http://www.oonumerics.org/blitz/ the best place to look?

 Jeremy Siek www: http://www.lsc.nd.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Candidate email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 Univ. of Notre Dame work phone: (219) 631-3906