From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-03 17:12:22

At 08:38 PM 12/2/2000 -0500, Jeremy Siek wrote:

>Blitz++ is a *very* full featured C++ multidimensional array library,
with
>much of the features modelled after F90 arrays. Not only does it have a
>very rich subscripting and subarray notation, but it also provides array
>arithmetic operations that have been optimized for good cache performance
>using the expression template technique, which the author Todd Veldhuisen
>co-invented with David Vandevoorde, and much much more.
>
>I think a boost multi-dim array library should in many ways look a
>lot like Blitz++.
>
>However, there are some disadvantages in just how advanced Blitz is:
> - it does not compile on VC++
> - compilation times are large
> - only Todd can maintain it
>
>My MTL has similar problems :(
>
>I would like the boost multi-dim array library to be something like a
>"blitz lite": simpler implementation, faster compile time, not as high
>performance for arithmatic expressions.

There seems to be a lot of interest in a "blitz lite" N-dimensional generic
resizable array.

Suggestions:

* Say upfront that it is lightweight compared to some solutions, and direct
people who are interested in heavyweight solutions to the Blitz++ web site.
http://www.oonumerics.org/blitz/

* Work extra hard (and document decisions in the docs rationale) to prevent
feature bloat. Don't let specification creep make a mockery of the "lite"
objective.

--Beman