From: Gary Powell (Gary.Powell_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-04 12:43:07

> Yes, I'm very familiar with PETE, however I'd vote against using
> expression templates (ET) for the boost multi-dim array library. The
> reason is that there are already good ET-based array libraries: Pooma and
> Blitz. However, there is a need out there for a more portable, simpler,
> and faster to compiler array library. I think the boost array library
> should fill this need.

Ok, what if we did not implement the binary operator's "+", "-", "*", and
"/" returning temporaries because of their inefficiency. Instead do just the
"+=", "-=", "*=", and "/="?

I would hate to see people write;
  boost::matrix M1,M2,M3,M4;

  M4 = M1 + M2 + M3;

and listen to people complain about how slow C++ is.

> P.S. PETE uses partial specialization all over the place, and hence
> can not be used with the world's most popular wanna-be C++ compiler.

Dang! It's going to be at least 2 years before this gets fixed. Any chance
of not supporting this set of users? Or is this really a boost::MSVCMatrix
class? and you recommend that everyone else use MT, or Pooma?

  -gary-