From: rwgk_at_[hidden]
Date: 2000-12-12 18:19:46

I spent about two days trying to get STLport to work on the Alpha,
fortunately that was succesful.
I spent another day tyring to get STLport to work with IRIX.
Without success.
Having to maintain STLport in order to use boost was/is quite
a painful experience for me. If less then 20 defines would
suffice to eliminate the need for a third-party library,
PLEASE do it! You could really help increasing the acceptance
of C++ in the scientific (not computer science!) world which is
full of Silicon Graphics and Alpha computers.
Of course, we could be using g++. However, in general the
native compilers generate much better code. Runtime
performance is very important to us. ... So important that
many (most?) devlopers in our community (crystallographic
computing) still use Fortran for new projects!
Ralf