From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-14 12:58:26

on 12/13/00 12:41 AM, Lois Goldthwaite at loisg_at_[hidden] wrote:

> The header files would not be mixed with the .cpp files. All .cpp
> files go in the src directory, below all of the library's header
> files.
>
> boost_1_19/
> boost/
> my_library.hpp // #includes file[12].hpp
> my_library/
> file1.hpp
> file2.hpp
> src/
> file1.cpp
> file2.cpp
> doc/
> examples/
[SNIP]

I like the next one.

> I'm suggesting that organization instead of one like this:
>
> boost_1_19/
> boost/
> include/
> my_library/
> file1.hpp
> file2.hpp
> src/
> my_library/
> file1.cpp
> file2.cpp
> doc/
> my_library/
> index.html
> file1.html
> file2.html
> examples/
> my_library/
> example1.cpp
> example2.cpp
>
> because the former system isolates each library into a single branch
> of the directory tree. The latter is equally logical, but every new
> library added requires updating several locations in the boost tree.
[TRUNCATE]

For updating, it only has to be done once, and only Beman has to do it.
He's already doing it for the *.hpp files (you call it "include" here). I
would like the mandatory *.cpp files separated too (which you call "src").
We can leave the other files ("libs" v. "doc" & "examples") for later. Both
designs let users specify the search paths for each sub-library
individually, but the second design also allows users to specify the search
path for the mandatory *.cpp files in one entry, "src/," without
accidentally finding nonessential files.

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie