From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-17 10:10:13

The current directory structure discussion has been lengthy because it is
also about improving the boost user experience, gearing up for future
growth, and other related topics.

The issues are complex enough that email discussion alone is unlikely to
resolve them satisfactorily. Distilling the essence from dozens of
messages isn't practical for most readers.

To resolve the issues, someone needs to write a proposal and post it in the
files/vault. (HTML format, please, so it can be later integrated into
the web site.) We can then discuss the proposal, the author can make
adjustments, and it can go up for formal review. If there is a competing
proposal, that is OK; we can decide between them.

The proposal should include:

* A statement of the problem in simple terms that can be understood by
those who have not been reading the discussion.

* Identification of stakeholders. (Developers, webmaster, several types
of users, etc.)

* Requirements and wishes (needs and wants).

* The proposed solution. This section should only include the proposed
solution, and none of the material covered in the other sections. It can
offer options to be decided by the group.

* Examples of use.

* Rationale, describing why some directions were followed, and why other
directions were not followed.

* Arguments for and against.

* History.

* Acknowledgements.

Who will volunteer to write such a proposal?

--Beman