From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (alexy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-18 21:57:48

Beman Dawes wrote:
> Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:
> >One last meta comment: I am also sharing Dave's concerns about library's
> >grow (given that just recently I citied the library as an example of
> >appropriate layering/splitting into parts :). I think that splitting it
> >at least three parts (both code and documentation) - basic arithmetic
> >operators, iterator adapters and grouped operators, should be done before
> >the release. If nobody else, I'll volunteer :).
>
> If you do make this change, please try to figure out a way to resolve
> potential confusion between these "iterator adapters" and the "iterator
> adaptors" now being formally reviewed. Seems like they might be combined,
> but I haven't studied that issue closely.

Oops.. sorry, the operator templates I was talking about are actually called
"iterator helpers". I don't know that was with me when I called them "iterator
adapters" ;) For sure the on-going review has played a certain role here :)

As for combining them - the "iterator adaptors" could benefit from using
"operators" templates to simplify their implementation, but in the rest they
are quite different. BTW, is there a reason why they don't use the library? I
could think of at least two possible reasons - undesirable dependency or/and
heaviness of the "operators". Is it so?

--Aleksey