From: Ronald Garcia (rgarcia4_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-28 17:20:23

    GS> The issue seems to be one of naming rather than
    GS> functionality. What is a "socket" to you? A socket in the Unix

I would agree that "socket" can be considered to refer to multiple
concepts, but I think it's fair and in fact beneficial to use the term
"socket". From my personal experience, I don't necessarily think of
sockets as the specific interface provided by unix, but instead a
generic term for network streaming capability. In the end, I think
that a C++ interface for network communication would be grand. Any
time I look for such an interface I use the keyword socket. Is the
network API under win or mac given a different name such that it would
not be obvious to a windows or mac programmer what is being referred to by
a "socket" library that runs on multiple OSes?

ron