From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-28 18:04:45

At 05:20 PM 12/28/2000 -0500, Ronald Garcia wrote:

> GS> The issue seems to be one of naming rather than
> GS> functionality. What is a "socket" to you? A socket in the Unix
>
>I would agree that "socket" can be considered to refer to multiple
>concepts, but I think it's fair and in fact beneficial to use the term
>"socket". From my personal experience, I don't necessarily think of
>sockets as the specific interface provided by unix, but instead a
>generic term for network streaming capability. In the end, I think
>that a C++ interface for network communication would be grand. Any
>time I look for such an interface I use the keyword socket. Is the
>network API under win or mac given a different name such that it would
>not be obvious to a windows or mac programmer what is being referred to
by
>a "socket" library that runs on multiple OSes?

Windows uses "Windows Sockets", often called "winsock". See
http://www.sockets.com/winsock.htm and http://www.sockets.com/winsock2.htm

Here is a quote from the first of those: "The Windows Sockets Specification
has been built upon the Berkeley Sockets programming model which is the de
facto standard for TCP/IP networking. It is intended to provide a high
degree of familiarity for programmers who are used to programming with
sockets in UNIX and other environments, and to simplify the task of porting
existing sockets-based source code. The Windows Sockets API is consistent
with release 4.3 of the Berkeley Software Distribution (4.3BSD)."

--Beman