From: Paul Baxter (paul_baxter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-31 07:18:54

> Several of us would like to take an unprecedented step for boost: we want
> gather related library components from several boost libraries into a new
> library. In particular, I believe the following iterator-related
components
> should be documented in and delivered from a single source:

Conceptually the libs do all have a common basis, but my concern with this
more coarse-grained approach is that when say, I want to use the random
number generator I'll have to compile the rest of the iterator components if
it all is in the same source file.

I can see a benefit as an extension to the standard library where file
explosion would not be appreciated, but I also enjoy being able to just pick
individual components when the components are not dependent on one another.

I would totally support a higher level iterator components document to flesh
out how Boost has supported iterators in many ways.

I wouldn't be averse to a high level source file that included these lower
level headers either, so that we could use both methods, but I would prefer
not to prematurely combine functional blocks unless there is a significant
amount of code sharing possible from the process.

I can also appreciate that under one author, style and consistency might be
improved, but think that the drawbacks might outweigh the benefits.

Witness projects like ACE where significant efforts are made to reduce the
inter-dependencies as the library has grown larger.

Just an opinion.

Oh and Happy New Year