From: Howard Hinnant (hinnant_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-08 16:21:32

Jens Maurer wrote on 1/8/2001 2:39 PM
>However, I think it would be better to have defines like
>BOOST_SGI_SLIST and BOOST_SGI_HASH_MAP which could be used
>like this:
>
>#ifdef BOOST_SGI_HASH_MAP
>#include BOOST_SGI_HASH_MAP
>#endif
>
>Rationale: Some versions of the C++ library have these
>extensions in odd places such as <ext/hash_map>.

There are at least two quality hash_map's available besides the SGI
implementation. I think it would behoove the C++ community to try and
use each of these versions to the extent practical, instead of just
SGI's. By doing so we may discover things that are good and bad about
each version, thus ultimately contributing to a better std::hash_map. If
only the SGI hash_map is exercised, then we have greatly decreased our
experience.

-Howard