From: Greg Colvin (greg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-10 12:41:44

From: William Kempf <sirwillard_at_[hidden]>

> > You mean "resource acquisition IS initialization"?
>
> I've seen both words used for the third initial. I *believe* the
> first time this term was coined the word IS was used, but frankly, IN
> makes more sense to me.
>
> > I'm very
> > familiar with auto_ptr, but I still don't what you mean by
> > "harness".
>
> Classes whose sole purpose is to add RAII to a concept are often
> referred to as "RAII harnesses". Whether the term "harness" is
> generally accepted in the C++ vernaculor, I'm not sure, but "RAII
> harness" has been used often enough I thought anyone familiar with
> RAII would know what was meant. Granted, I really meant RAII in
> general, so I should have been more careful in my wording. Sorry for
> any confusion.

My ability to remember new acronyms was overwhelmed years
ago, and a Google search for "RIAA harness" returned only
the following hit <grin>

... 21:38:18 -0500 set of 4 BBS RAII wheels for sale 14X6.5 hub-centric for
... 30:39 -0500 Stephen: I just got a Clearwater harness for a97. It runs
from the back of ...