From: Larry Evans (jcampbell3_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-26 13:57:13

Alex Oren wrote:

> I am looking for high quality implementations (preferably tested in large
> projects) of various smart pointers.
>
> I understand there are different strategies:
> - Ownership transferring (a-la auto_ptr<>)
> - Reference counting
> - Any other?
>
> I'd like implementations that can be used in standard containers, are
> exception safe and can either deal with issues such as circular referencing
> or document the assumptions/limitations.
>
> Since I would be dissecting the sources to learn from them and adapt the
> techniques to other resources (handles, etc.) I prefer non-obfuscated code.
>
> Can you please point me in the right direction?

I'm currently evaluating the smart-pointers and other garbage collection methods
proposed for the boost library. The attached html file is the beginning of that evaluation.
If this file were located at file:/home/evansl/prog_dev/boost/files/GarbageCollectByTmplSpecializa/compare,
and then the links would be valid (note: the compare directory has not been created yet).

I, and probably others in the boost group, would like to share in whatever evaluation
you make on these proposed boost gc methods.