From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-29 22:28:45

At 11:27 PM 1/29/2001 +0000, Paul Baxter wrote:

>I read over at the register
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/16447.html ) about possible
changes
>in privacy and copyright related to the new yahoo policies with the
article
>citing code posted becoming copyright yahoo, I think.
>
>Is this a problem for Boost or not an issue?

The register don't seemed to have checked facts. For example, they said
"...the switch was made with no consultation, no warning and no choice"

Anyone subscribing to various eGroups admin lists like
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eGroups-Moderator-News or
changes ever since Yahoo bought eGroups last August. There was a beta
site, news sites, etc.

As far as copyrights go, the Yahoo Terms of Service
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ seem pretty clear. Users are expected to
observe copyright and other intellectual property rights of the content
owners. So pages like the TOC itself are clearly marked Copyright Yahoo,
and they're the owner. For boost content, our stuff is copyright by the
boost contributors, and the contributors are the copyright owners. Same as
always. Or am I missing something?

I don't much like some of the changes Yahoo has made, but in fairness to
them we need to recognize that the register article seems full of
misinformation.

--Beman